Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Delivering Happiness - the movement


Our Plan to Increase Your Happiness

For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness - Ralph Waldo Emerson
I went to the library last week, and got several books on my current passions.  One that I got was Delivering Happiness:  A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose by Tony Hsieh.  The book is part how he became a self-made millionaire (along with the mistakes along the way), part encouragement to follow your passions, and part how to live your life to be happy.  The last is what I was most interested in, but the book was thoroughly entertaining and quite educational.

I remember hearing when I was a young adult from a wise woman that happiness was for children.  I had a child of my own, and I needed to understand that I needed to buckle down and join the adult world.  That very wise woman was right in many aspects... I was still very childish, and I knew that my dreams needed to be put away for a while so that I could earn a living and support my fledgling family.  But she was also wrong.  I didn't know it then, and am just learning it now.  It is possible to have dreams and follow them responsibly.  Happiness is not a pipe dream for children.  It's something we as adults can do every day.

The second badge above, from Ralph Waldo Emerson, hung in the bathroom my sister and I shared as a child.  It continues to hang in my bathroom today.  They are the truest words ever spoken, and something I've at least attempted to live my life by.  "For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

If you agree, and you'd like to join in making the world a happier place, click one of the badges above.  It will take you to the website.  See what you can do.  Read inspiring stories from others around the globe.  And most of all, remember that anything and everything you can do starts with you first.

"We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong.  The amount of work is the same." - Carlos Castaneda.

One more quote from the book that has resonated with me is, "Life isn't about finding yourself.  Life is about creating yourself." - George Bernard Shaw.

I can't say it any better today.  Off to explore more on the site.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment